Freedom of Speech is so important in our society, and it is one of the biggest things that makes the United States, what it is. People are entitled to their opinions and have the right to speak on them however they want to and to whoever they want to. When I think about our society today I think about of Freedom of Speech being one of the most valued and used Amendments.
Freedom of speech comes in many different forms whether that be displayed in music, a book, a speech, on social media, the news and so much more. This is something that we as Americans have the privilege of experiencing in our country.
In the Blog post, the "Eight Values of Free Expression" we are shown eight speech theories. I will be discussing two of the eight that stand out and resonate most with me.
Of the 8 Values of Free Expression I connect the most with the fourth one, which is Individual Self-Fulfillment. It states that individuals can use free speech to express themselves and create their own identity.
Especially with some of the current events happening, by sharing our opinions we can allow others to see different point of views about specific topics. I think it is important to hear multiple points of views in order to better understand your own and this is done through others exercising their freedom off speech.
When I am scrolling on social media and see a news story, that is only one persons opinion and point of view. When I see someone else sharing a different opinion about the same topic, it encourages me to think deeper about what my thoughts are.
For example in our class I enjoying hearing points of views that I may not have considered before. This connects well with the eighth value listed which is Protect Dissent. This states that we are not all supposed to agree with each other, or the government. We not only have a right, but a duty to disagree with everything that the government says or does.I do believe that when we disagree with things that people say we should remain civil and respectful. Although we have the freedom of speech we should by no means use that to make harmful and threatening remarks about others. We should disagree with each other in a respectful manor that sparks interesting and important conversation.


No comments:
Post a Comment